WordPress 5.7 is now available with one-click switch from HTTP to HTTPS, new Robots API, and lazy-loading of iframes among other features.
Named after musician Esperanza Spalding, WordPress 5.7 is the first WordPress release of 2021 that comes with a huge focus on user experience.
Converting WordPress 5.7 From HTTP to HTTPS
Converting your WordPress site from HTTP to HTTPS is now easier with this release and can now be accomplished in one click. This changes the URLs in the database to point to the HTTPS version as well as the Site Health section of the WordPress dashboard’s inclusion of an HTTPS status check.
New Robots API
With the new Robots API, users can now include filter directives in the robots meta tags, and the API includes the max-image-preview: large directive by default. That allows search engines to now show bigger image previews.
jQuery 3.5.1 Cleanup
More maintenance has been after update to jQuery 3.5.1 making it less intrusive, with fewer messages in the console.
Lazy Loading iFrames
With WordPress 5.7 it is now simple to let iframes lazy-load. By default, WordPress will add a loading=”lazy” attribute to iframe tags when both width and height are specified.
WordPress 5.7’s New Default Colors
WordPress 5.7 has a new default color palette which is said to be simpler and more streamlined.
This new streamlined color palette collapses all the colors that used to be in the WordPress source code down to seven core colors and a range of 56 shades that meet the WCAG 2.0 AA recommended contrast ratio against white or black.
The new palette can be seen by using the default WordPress dashboard color scheme. It is recommended to use this streamlined color palette when building themes, plugins, or any other components.
Doing More Without Writing Custom Code
- Full-height alignment: Use it to make blocks fill the whole window.
- Buttons block: Choose a vertical or a horizontal layout and set the width of a button to a preset percentage.
- Social Icons block: Allows users to change the size of the icons.
Easier to use WordPress 5.7 Editor
- Font-size adjustment in more places: Font-size controls are now available in the List and Code blocks allowing changes without navigating away.
- Reusable blocks: Reusable blocks are now more stable and easier to use. Now they save automatically with the post when you click the Update button.
- Inserter drag-and-drop: You can now drag blocks and block patterns from the inserter right into your post.