Microsoft has this suite of webmail, contacts, tasks, and calendaring services and it is called live.com or outlook.com. It is one of the world’s first webmail services and also one of the most mature and suited to business needs.
For these reasons it is common to find that one may want the flexibility to access live.com mail emails from the client of their choice.
This guide will show you how to configure the live.com email settings using the Ms. Outlook Desktop app. The methods presented here apply to other mail clients such as Thunderbird, Gmail, Zimbra, Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Android mail apps, iOS mail apps, and more.
live.com mail Incoming IMAP Settings
Open up your email client in this case Outlook and go to the account settings. In modern clients you can select your account as Live but in this case you want to set it up manually.
Enter the details listed below in the appropriate fields in the account settings wizard.
- Set your account type to IMAP
- Set your UserName which is your email address (e.g. [email protected]).
- Set your Password as your valid email account password. This is the same password you use to access the webmail page
- Set your incoming mail server hostname to “imap-mail.outlook.com“. For outgoing server settings see the SMTP section below.
- Check the required logon using the Secure Password Authentication box as well as Remember Password
- Set server port to 993 (This may appear under “More Settings” in a client like Ms. Outlook.
Steps for live.com Mail Outgoing SMTP Settings
- Set the outgoing server (SMTP) hostname to “smtp-mail.outlook.com“.
- Manually set your UserName as your email address and your email account password or simply check the box confirming the outgoing server settings are the same as the incoming server settings. This can be found under “More Settings” as is the rest of the details below
- Set server port to 587.
- Set encryption type to TLS SSL/TLS, or StartSSL/TLS which option is provided by your mail client.
- Check the Require Secure Password Authentication requirement.
Confirm all the details and finish your live.com email settings and configuration steps by clicking the next button until the end.